Retired FBI Agent Is Accused of Swindling Woman Out of $800,000

The former agent told the woman she was on “secret probation” over drug crimes and at one point proposed marriage, federal prosecutors said.


Continue reading the main story

Supported by

Continue reading the main story

A retired F.B.I. agent in Texas has been indicted on fraud charges and accused of conning a woman out of $800,000 by convincing her that she was on “secret probation” for drug crimes and needed to pay him and an accomplice for their work to “mentor” and “supervise” her, federal prosecutors said on Friday.

The man, William Roy Stone Jr., 62, who had retired from the Dallas field office of the F.B.I. about a month before the scam began, even proposed marrying the victim and said he would try to discharge her from probation, prosecutors said.

“Stone allegedly conned, threatened and stole from his victim, exploiting her trust in law enforcement for his own financial gain,” Cloey C. Pierce, special agent in charge of the Justice Department’s inspector general’s office in Dallas, said in a statement.

Gregg Gallian, a lawyer for Mr. Stone, said in a statement on Sunday, “Mr. Stone will clear his name in the courtroom and, in doing so, will bring the actual facts of this case to light.” Mr. Gallian added, “There is much more to this story.”

According to a statement from prosecutors, Mr. Stone was indicted on Tuesday by a grand jury on seven counts of wire fraud, one count of wire fraud conspiracy, one count of impersonating of a federal officer, “one count of engaging in monetary transactions in property derived from unlawful activity” and one count of giving false statements to law enforcement.

If convicted on all charges, Mr. Stone faces up to 178 years in prison, according to the office of the U.S. attorney for the Northern District of Texas.

In a statement announcing the charges, and the 15-page indictment that was unsealed last week, prosecutors offered only a few details of the scheme that they say Mr. Stone perpetrated for more than three and a half years. Telephone and email messages sent to prosecutors on Sunday evening were not returned.

Mr. Stone retired from the F.B.I. office in Dallas in October 2015. At some point the following month, he was in contact with a woman in Granbury, Texas, southwest of Fort Worth, identified only as “C.T.” Mr. Stone told her she was on “secret probation” for drug crimes in “Judge Anderson’s court in Austin, Texas,” and that this court had assigned Mr. Stone and another person, who was not identified, to “mentor” and “supervise” her.

As a part of this probation, prosecutors said, Mr. Stone told the woman that she was obligated to pay the expenses he incurred traveling to Austin to speak with the judge about her probation. Mr. Stone also told C.T. that she had to report all of her activities, and assets, to him.

Mr. Stone also told the woman that she was forbidden to disclose her probation status to anyone, and that if she did not comply with these terms, she could be imprisoned and lose custody of her children, prosecutors said.

To convince the victim that the probation was real, prosecutors said, Mr. Stone arranged for another person, who was not identified, to leave messages on the victim’s telephone purported to be from the “Intelligence Center” of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration. Mr. Stone also arranged for telephone calls between himself, the victim and this unnamed third person, who pretended to be Judge Anderson, prosecutors said.

It is not clear what relationship, if any, Mr. Stone had with the victim before November 2015. But at some point, Mr. Stone raised the prospect of their relationship turning romantic, prosecutors said. “At one point, he allegedly proposed to marry her, claiming he would then seek discharge of her probation,” prosecutors said in a statement.

Mr. Stone’s scheme was effective, prosecutors said. The victim gave him “over $800,000 in money and property,” according to the indictment. Prosecutors said property linked to Mr. Stone’s dealings with the woman included a home on Kennedy Drive in Colleyville, Texas, a 2017 Toyota Tacoma and a 2016 Mercedes CLS.

How Mr. Stone was able to carry out the scam for more than three years, and what touched off the investigation by law enforcement officials, was not immediately clear. The case was investigated by the Texas Rangers and the U.S. Department of Justice Office of Inspector General, with help from the Fort Worth Police Department, prosecutors said.

Leave a Reply